Friday, February 20, 2009

India... I Bleed For Thee

The first time i set foot
on the sacred Indian mud,
I had no fancy items to trade
no business with an MNC company
no experience to fill my resume.
It was a dream run loose
inside my head,like a wild mustang
on the evergreen texan landscapes-
to do something for my country...

An orphaned couple abandoned,
With my sister on my hip, i travel
barefoot on the blessed streets
vibrating to the buzz of activity.
It felt so right to be here,
so safe for my sister to grow
into a strong Bharatiya Nari,
A dream often seen by a mother
which i replace without guilt.

Little did i know my fate
was as cursed as the rabid dogs
of the construction site.

Thirst taking a toll upon
my young little companion,
i searched for a spot to beg
a small drop of water from
the very busy streets of Mumbai.
India, being a land of variety
often attracts juvenile minds
to its ecstatic wonders...
And so, while i was busy with
the errand burdened on my shoulders,
I fail to see two young men
with heavy baggage and long strides
pass me with blunt ignorance.
A rotund object did attract attention
that seemed to be most presciously held.
Like a bolt of lightening, it was released,
finally delivering it to the destination.

Another roadside prank,i carelessly thought
until i saw, with these very own eyes
the impact of the act that led to devastation.
The masquerade of mumbaikers
turned into a heap of bloody corpses
Lifeless as never before.
Even at a distance, i lie in shock,
paralysed to see the aftermath
that took a toll on the innocent.
My lungs ceased to take in air
as i find my sister on the floor
crimsoned, burned, ashed at places,
her hair turned to thin air;
she fought to keep her
4year old body alive,
fighting to awaken from this nightmare...
Terror struck to the roots
God doesn't seem to pay attention
to the slowly escaping gasps
from her wounded bosom.
With prayers whispered aloud,
I hold her in my sooted arms
asking for a miracle to happen.
I remember, her very last breathe,
her very last words that spoke
the universal truth...
'Why me, akka?'she said,
and parted with me, forever alone.

A mother's anguish surfaces
to flame the world with her loss
How long will it taketo get a safer world?
How long must we suffer till we can promise
our futures a safe journey ahead?
Politics, religion, cast,does this matter?
Isnt it enough that we areblessed as humans?
Why colourthe world with petty vengeance?

Today i stand to claim my rights,
for my dearly departed sibling
and to all the lost lives.
Neither a Hindu, nor a Muslim
Nor a Christian, nor a Sikh...
What do these words mean to me?
Above all, I am an Indian...
A beggar, full of pride
And all i beg is for mercy...

Save us from this mutiny!
Save us from this tyranny!
Save us!

2 comments:

  1. well miss shruthi wT to say .... 1 can witness
    d glimpse of innovation frm d pearls assembled by u ..... "ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL".... but me waiting fr a wrk whch hs more f enthusiasm fr guyss who r turning themselves towrds coorporate smdin fr us d ENGINEERSSSS...... i wish u'l fufil ma wish......

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a poem dear.. The depth of the emotion behind the is so strong(as always :P)! On a serious note,I felt like adding on to the title "India I bleed for thee",to "In India,to lead is the key.." Simply superb girl..

    ReplyDelete